Monday, March 26, 2007

Back to the Dr's

I'm taking Aaron for his follow-up visit to an Orthopedist to check on his broken arm. Here's what happened.

We went to Breckenridge, CO skiing over spring break. This is our second ski trip with the kids. Last year, they had to spend so much time in classes that we didn't get to have much ski time as a family. So this year we decided to put them each in private lessons. Our thinking was with private lessons, they would get more one on one solid teaching. Elaina took a 3 hour ski lesson and Aaron took a 6 hour snowboarding lesson. If you have not ever tried snowboarding - it's more difficult than skiing so we wanted him to get as much out of the lesson as possible. Elaina is going to be a natural on skis - just like her Daddy. By the end of the trip she skid (spelling) down a blue/black trail! She's only 9!

Anyhooo, Aaron did absolutely wonderful during his lesson. He was really boarding great. Controlled, turning, stopping etc... So we set off on day 2. Our first day together. Alvin and Elaina decided to go ski together because she can already ski down blues with ease. I was staying with Aaron in an area he liked - it has a terrain park and is used by lots of boarders. So on the lift to the area he says to me "I think those ski patrol people are really cool. What does it take to be one?" We discuss this while riding to our drop point. We get off the lift and I decide to ski down ahead of him so I watch board down the mtn. I ski ahead and pull to the side and wait, and wait, and wait. All the time waving my poles at him to let him know I was ready. I see him sitting on the snow and think maybe he is checking his bindings again or just resting. In a minute this kid boards up to me and says "your kid hurt his arm REAL BAD!" I PANIC! I take my gear off and haul myself back up the mtn (about 200 yards). By the time I reach him I am literally about to pass out! Seriously - seeing spots - can't breath. Stupid thin air! I asked him what happened - thinking someone ran into him or maybe he slipped. He says "oh, I was trying to throw a 360". Huh, are you serious?! What else are 12 year old invincible boys supposed to do the first day boarding by themselves. Duh Mom!

I check his arm and it doesn't look misshapen so I take off his gear and sorta fix a sling with his jacket. We walk BACK DOWN the mtn to call for ski patrol. Yep the ski patrol he was just asking about. Two people with the patrol come to help. One skier pulling the stretcher and a snowmobile for me and the gear. The ski patrol that pulled Aaron down the mountain was named Aaron. Funny. We get the base village ER and eventually get seen. It is broken. Aaron is so bummed about missing baseball. He was really great considering how much he was hurting. He never cried - even though I know he wanted to. My sweet big boy.

We'll see what the Dr. says today. Hopefully it's healing OK.

More later.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I'm sorry to hear he broke his arm. Hope it heals fast and he can get back to baseball