Monday, April 16, 2007

"Just a reminder, that in the midst of the daily mucky-muck, or when you find yourself wishing for all the things that aren't quite right, like pants that fit or money to burn or houses that are clean…just that reminder to surround yourself with those you love, and hold them as close as you can for as long as you're given." .......Written by Cathly Zielske on her blog.

After reading this - I want to shake myself silly! This weekend I was trying to get the house somewhat livable again and lost it a couple of times with the kids. It seemed as if they had completely lost their minds. I couldn't clean as fast as the house was getting dirty.

Yes, they should pick up after themselves (but I could be much better at it myself), yes, they should respect our house, us and their belongings (see prior parenthesis), but at the end of the day if you feel like you have done nothing but gripe and yell and nag and criticize, then something is wrong. My babies (ages 12 and 9) are good, kind, loving kids. They are typical kids though - they are going to leave clothes and dishes laying around, fight with each other and be a little sassy once in a while. But compare them to others their age and I really, truly am proud. They are respectful to adults, they love GOD, they are extremely well behaved, really - just great kids!

I must to be a better example for them to follow. They are following my lead. If I clutter, they clutter. If I criticize, they criticize each other. If I look for blame - they will not accept responsibility. If I yell, they will never speak respectfully. If I half-a@# a task, they will do the same. But, if I can exhibit patience, accountablility, practice what I preach, tell them I love them more, pray with them more, not sweat the little things, work harder, say kinder words then they will ultimately follow suit. My worst fear is after they are grown the strongest memories of me will be of me griping, nagging, criticizing. I can not allow that to happen. It is up to me. They are too important and precious. They are my life. I need to remember this. There will be times when they will need to be nagged and reminded and reprimanded - but there is always a right way and a wrong way to do this. At the end of the day, when I lay my head down the last thing I want is regrets. When they lay their heads down, I want nothing in their mind and hearts but the knowledge that they are loved unconditionally - no matter how much mud gets on the carpets!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

{{HUGS}} I totally know how you feel. I find that my patience suffers severely when I'm tired and I actually consciously reminded myself of that when I woke up tired and grumpy this morning! I have 2 little ones and take care of niece as well and it can be trying, but it's not their fault I'm tired and a little grumpy! Thanks again for the reminder...